2018 June Newsletter
MY UPCOMING EVENTS
Join me, Vice Mayor Magdalena Carrasco, and Councilwoman Sylvia Arenas at the 10th Annual Senior Health Fair and Walk at Eastridge Center!
- We will have Zumba, community resources, healthy breakfast options, and an exercise walk around Eastridge Center!
- Friday, June 8th: 8:30 - 11:30am | Eastridge Center, 2200 Eastridge Loop, San Jose (Near 24 Hour Fitness entrance).
- For more information or to RSVP here or call 408-558-1295.
I will also be hosting a Community Coffee at Roy’s Station Coffee. This is a great opportunity for you to come and discuss your ideas, questions, and concerns about state issues over a cup of coffee.
- Friday, June 22nd : 8:30 - 10am | Roy’s Station Coffee, 197 Jackson St., San Jose
- These are individual five minute meetings on a first come first served basis.
IN THE CAPITOL
I had a great visitor at the Mental Health Caucus meeting a week ago. Darryl McDaniels, better known as “DMC” from “RunDMC”, joined my colleagues and I in a very personal discussion about his experience with alcoholism, suicidal thoughts, and mental health. Watch the video.
It’s also been a long week of voting on legislation. Many of my bills on the Senate Floor moved forward. Some key bills are:
- SB 825: Creates an enhanced pre-apprenticeship program in state prisons in partnership with the State Building and Construction Trade Council, paving the way for stable employment of former inmates post release and successful transition back to the community.
- SB 940: Expands the opportunities for college-bound foster youth to access financial aid by extending their Cal Grant eligibility.
- SB 1019: Requires at least half of all funds allocated to the Mental Health Services Oversight & Accountability Commission under the Investment in Mental Health Wellness Act of 2013 must be used to expand mental health services for minors.
- SB 1056: Creates more permanent affordable housing for low and moderate-income families by providing Community Land Trusts with a property tax exemption from the point of acquisition to the point of sale of affordable homes.
To get more information on my legislation visit: http://sd15.senate.ca.gov/legislation.