Senator Beall and Local Leaders Receive Federal Aid for Residents in the SCU Fire

September 29, 2020

Senator Beall’s work with local officials resulted in an urgent request for Santa Clara County to receive more federal aid through the Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) and the Presidential Major Disaster Declaration. 

“It was important to get these grants and Declaration for our community,” said Senator Beall. “Our residents have faced much uncertainty and loss this year, and we needed to bolster our local government to help our community that has been affected by the SCU Fire.” 

California first secured Fire Management Assistance Grants (FMAG) from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to support the fire response in Santa Clara County and across the state. This grant will cover 75% of the fire response and suppression cost, while the County will cover the remaining 25%. Whereas, the Presidential Major Disaster Declaration addresses the recovery after the fire.

The Presidential Major Disaster Declaration enables residents of the County to access federal funding in addition to the Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG). A Presidential Major Disaster Declaration now provides a wide range of recovery federal assistance programs for our County helping individuals, and public infrastructure, including funds for emergency and permanent work. 

The SCU Lightning Complex fire has consumed 396,624 acres and is 98% contained. 

For more information, contact the Office of Senator Beall at 408-558-1295.

 

Media Contact:
Andrea Bonilla 
916.651.4015
andrea.bonilla@sen.ca.gov