Media Availability - Senator Cortese Hosts 19th Annual Sacramento Bus Trip for Education
For nearly two decades, following the May Revision of the State Budget each year, Senator Cortese (D-Silicon Valley) has hosted a Bus Trip to Sacramento that has successfully provided groups of education advocates, students, educators and community members in Santa Clara County the opportunity to travel to the State Capitol to meet directly with State Officials and Legislators, learn about current legislation and discuss public education as a state budget priority.
Two Opportunities for Media Availability
1. WHEN: Wednesday, May 18th at 6:00 AM, WHERE: San Jose State University Park and Ride Lot – 1281 S. 7th Street, San Jose, CA 95112
2. WHEN: Wednesday, May 18th at 9:00 AM, WHERE: West Capitol Steps - 10th Street and Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95811
**Media are asked to RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or at 408 480 7833. Bus Trip participants as well as State Legislators will be available for media comment at the two above times. Interviews may also be scheduled outside of these two windows.
This year’s 19th Annual Bus Trip for Education will be held on Wednesday May 18th and is co-sponsored by the Silicon Valley Education Foundation, San Jose State University, Ahmad Thomas, Bloom Energy, and The Nunez Community Foundation.
Bus Trip participants will depart from San Jose to Sacramento at 6:00am and return at 6:00pm after lobbying visits with the following legislators and stakeholders:
· State Senator Dave Cortese
· State Senator Connie Leyva, Chair of the Senate Education Committee
· State Senator John Laird, Chair of the Senate Education Budget Subcommittee
· State Assembly Member Alex Lee
· State Senator Steve Glazer
· State Superintendent Tony Thurmond
· State Assembly Member Ash Kalra
· State Senator Rosilicie Ochoa Bogh
· State Assembly Member Marc Berman
· The Office of Governor Gavin Newsom
· The Department of Finance
· The California School Employees Association (CSEA)
· The California Teachers Association (CTA)
The Bus Trip has been a signature event hosted by Senator Cortese that has provided a valuable avenue for advocates of public education to make their voice heard at the state level, to secure adequate funding for our schools, and to advocate for excellence in our state’s public education system: both K-12 and higher education.
“This is an opportunity for our community to speak face-to-face with their state representatives,” says Senator Cortese. “As a State Senator, I know firsthand how important our community’s voice is when it comes to advocating for our students and adequate resources in the classroom.”
He added, “COVID-19 has brought about unexpected challenges for our schools and has forced us to examine the role our schools play in the lives of our children. Safe and supportive school environments is a priority for these year’s Bus Trip, with learning recovery top of mind. When our students succeed, we all succeed.”