Cash for College Workshops

January 12, 2015

Senator Jim Beall invites high school seniors, parents, and guardians in Senate District 15 to Cash for College Workshops.

“Cost must never be a barrier to college for any student who is qualified for admission,’’ Beall said, “and that’s why I am holding these workshops. California’s colleges are the gateway to opportunity for our sons and daughters, let’s make it accessible and affordable for them.’’

The free workshops will arm high school seniors who plan to attend college with essential information about applying for student financial aid, such as Cal Grants (March 2 deadline) or the Middle Class Scholarships (June 30 deadline).

The workshops are intended to assist in filling out applications; it is not an assurance of a grant or scholarship.

Workshops are scheduled for:

Tuesday, Jan. 13; 4 p.m.– 8 p.m., Westmont High School

Thursday, Feb.5; 4 p.m. – 7 p.m., Pioneer High School

Thursday, Feb. 5; 4 p.m. – 8 p.m., Homestead High School

Tuesday, Feb.10; 3:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.; Leland High School

Wednesday, Feb.11; 2 p.m. – 7 p.m.; Willow Glen High School

The series of workshops are sponsored by the California Student Opportunity in partnership with Beall.
Representatives from the California Student Opportunity and Access Program to will on hand to guide students and parents and answer questions.

In order to fill out student financial aid applications, it is recommended that parents and students bring any of the following applicable items:

•    Student’s Social Security card and driver license or government-issued identification.

•    Parent or guardian’s Social Security card.

•    If not a U.S. citizen, bring alien registration card; if you do not have an alien registration card, visit to learn if you qualify for California Dream Act financial aid.

•    Parent’s Federal Income Tax return, current W-2 forms or other records of income.

•    Records of untaxed income such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, veteran’s, or Social Security benefits.

•    Student’s W-2 forms, pay records or other records of income earned.

•    Bank account records or bank statements.

•    Records of stocks, bonds or investments.

•    Business and farm records.

•    A list of the colleges the sutdent is applying to.